The video we watched in class today was stirring.
Hopefully for everyone.
Can you think of an individual that the education system has failed?
I mean that pun intended.
Failed, and failed. The letter kind, and the regular kind.
How about all of us?
At one point or another we have all failed something, school, a quiz, a paper, a presentation..
Easily, I'll name five hundred people that public education has failed.
Don't ask me to name them because I will.
Here are a few of my key thoughts as we watched that video.
I have a deaf older sister who went to mainstream school her entire life. I'm not a stranger to adovocating for students that don't fit the norm education is trying to produce. Is it even possible to argue for someone who needs a place and a fair opportunity in a system that is already corrupt, a system that doesn't have a place for her because she isn't the same as everyone else. In fact even if she focused everything she's got into trying to be what the school system wants, she won't achieve it. She's never going to be like anybody else. So instead of applauding and appreciating that, the school system says " oh gosh, how are we going to make this work"
I have the same kind of frustration for students on the spectrum, diagnosed/undiagnosed with any shape or form of condition or disease. (- I'm trying to be politically correct with terms I'm not learned on so please excuse my twisted way around that sentence) Instead of throwing pills their way, spend some money. Create an opportunity for them to thrive, there has to be a way. It's easier to let people slip through the cracks than face things head on. Sad isn't it, it's easier to forget about someone than to care about them. Weird when one of our basic HUMAN instincts is supposed to be caring and helping.
School is about money.
Wishing it wasn't won't do any good, neither will pretending it isn't.
The cirriculum is usually based out of a textbook that comes with a hefty price tag.
Then you get graded on it.
And you know what else?
Some of the most vile bullies I've ever encountered have been teachers or school administraters.
After I've bitched and griped I usually find myself giving them the benefit of the doubt.
They are a product of the school system, they are the successes.
I'm not. Clearly. Thank sweet goodness for that.
I believe they've fallen victim to the stupidity that we are lawfully required to participate in (school).
They tell you how to act, how to behave, and how to be successful. Then they adamently shake their heads when you don't conform,
disagree or don't measure up.
They blame it on lazy generations that don't care and require structure.
No, it's the content. It's the personalities and the deliverence.
It's the dumb goals, and heartless nonsense policies.
I think in school it is important to recognize when you are the problem, or at least when you're participating in the problem.
I know when I'm being a poor student, I know when I'm giving less than my best. I know when I'm my problem. The terra nova or the FCAT don't know me and they'll never know my brain. When are the folks in charge going to get it?
It's interesting, Sweden believes in supervised play until a child turns eight years old.
They dress up and have tea parties and scream and sing, until they are eight.
No book reports, reading assessments, placements tests, gifted programs...
What were ya'll doing at eight years old?
I was learning cursive and long division.
Hmm, isn't Sweden named the happiest country in the world?
Could that be connected?
My advice to those Swedes? Hold on to that, cherish it and play til the cows come home.
I chuckled to myself when we started class with Professor Young's childhood.
I had a similar upbringing, forts, banged up elbows and knees, catching tadpoles and digging massively big holes. I played in quick sand, and ran around the block during hurricanes. Back then, I really knew I could do anything, that confidence is long gone.
I want to be a mother one day.
Now I'm forward thinking asking myself, am I going to be hung up on my kiddo knowing how to distinguish between colors on my ipad and recite the alphabet or am I hoping my little one has had like forty five splinters from trying to hop a fence? Do I want my kids to have grass stained blue jeans or a pristine score on some educational iPad app?
Am I going to be disappointed in my kids not getting an high A on their assignments.
Am I going to anxiously await their Terra Nova scores in the mail.
Gosh I hope not.
The video kind of led me on a tangent
I believe in education. I just don't know what kind.
No comments:
Post a Comment