Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Sink or Swim

The last line of my previous post was, "I believe in education. I just don't know what kind."

I haven't heard that new idea.
The inspiration and passion for the fight in education isn't there. Mostly because of the depth and range of the problems. There's too many.
I often fall back from projects because I feel like they're too big. I hate cleaning my room when it has reached hurricane level destruction. And it is tremendously easier to clean up a bathroom that has been somewhat maintained. When it has reached filth, I shy away. I feel like that is the same situation regarding school. I don't know what it will take for an idea to be produced that will be a part of the maintenance of the school system. The maintenance being the analogy of fixing and cleaning up as we go in order to reach a clean fresh workable system.

Maybe that inspiration isn't there because the whole system needs to be dumped. No revamps just complete revolution. It is possible that many small consistent changes are not the answer or the way. Maybe that's why no ideas have sparked for me.


In my previous post, I wrote something along the lines of I used to know that I could be anything I wanted, and that confidence is long gone. Why do you have to help someone find their niche (build a personality) AND shatter their confidence on the way. Professor Young talked about his son changing his demeanor, and also experiencing a drastic confidence shift after attending school at a young age. Could this be more prevalent than we have acknowledged? If the answer is starting small, start with that. Monitor confidence. Boost it in a constructive way. Don't over trophy every kid but let them know that if they aren't comfortable in front of a class room speaking, it doesn't mean they don't have a" room working" personality, it doesn't mean that they don't belong on debate team and at the head of some corporation, it means that they WORK on it. If they want to be good at it, they have every chance to work on it and try. Don't let them sink at it the first time they try, help them tone and build swimming muscles to get them to where they want to be.

If the answer is huge, absolute reworking all at once, then I hope somebody has their thinking cap on cause I've got nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment