The fact that this was our topic in class today is eery.
Stupid October.
(I hate halloween)
It was eery because I had just written my next Thearmysdaughter blogpost.
It still is living in my notes section of my iphone, I'm stumped on this post.
Explaining Thearmysdaughter page name is harder than I expected.
All because of religion.
Breaking down the why of the name kind of gets religious for me.
Daughter is instrumental in this project, it's a huge compliment to the Army. By putting daughter behind Army, the meaning goes beyond being a traditional (My dad's daughter) and nontraditional (the community's daughter) daughter. I relate it to being a daughter of God. I take it very seriously, it molds the kind of daughter I am in other areas of my life.
How do I explain that without diving into religion. Is it the wrong move to incorporate God into my blog? Will that change my audience? People could build a wall. How do I get them to understand?
Can I even explain why I chose to name my blog that without telling them what being a daughter means to me?
I really hate even caring about what people think.
But that's part of being human, I have to see things from the other sides.
I have to try and understand.
Hesitating to share my religion is just not something I do. I'm surprised that I'm apprehensive, I'm public about being religious and LDS on twitter, facebook, and among my peers.
Religion on the internet is expanding quickly, is it the norm to add that to my blog? Or will it throw me into the hot seat?
That's a scary thought. I'm aware that any time I get into a religious debate or arguement, I'm going to lose. People's facts and evidence are going to trump my insisting that there's a "feeling".
Good for me, and good for them. That's what I have to say?
When we talked about our generation being more skeptical, I sank in my seat. TRUTH.
People might even be able to guess from my social media that I'm not a perfect Latter Day Saint. In fact, I've been inactive for the past six or seven years. With social media, you get to see way more, you get to see people who criticized you years ago, messing up or in bad situations now.
I'm skeptical because I play into watching and waiting for the next person to mess up.
When I was fifteen, I got kicked out of seminary in my new ward. I was on swim team and the team had yearbook photos, all of us had to wear our team shirt and a pair of jean shorts. I wore shorts to seminary and my Bishop asked me not to come back. I visited the town I lived in seven years ago this summer, and learned that the Bishop who publicily embarassed me had been excommunicated because of a long going affair with a younger woman in the ward. I immediately called my parents and told them, my dad said something like "Hallelujah, that jackass"........
We were pumped. Social media lets me glimpse at other people's lives, it has it's ups and downs.
In some ways it has shattered my character, preying on my flaws and occasional weak resistance to pride and relishing in other's failures. On the other hand, my life has been changed, I get to see people in a different way, and be excited for most of their accomplishments and acheivements.
Internet is affecting religion because how you react to what you intake and perceive is usually rooted in some type of religious teaching lesson or principle. Because religion is a culture.
Or maybe I'm just getting older and so skeptical is one of those things I'm starting to gain in old age.
And when we talked about Columbus briefly.
My mom is too cool.
I'm Native American, like... Certificate of Indian Blood registered, real deal kind. Scholarship reservation going I check that denomination when I apply for jobs, take a standardized test etc.
I always knew to be skeptical about history, because until I went to high school my mom would come into my class and teach about Native Americans (my tribe specifically) the week of Columbus Day.
I learned to appreciate and respect both sides of the story. Of course I've always leaned towards the Native American account of what happened, but I listened to Columbus's journey every time teachers taught it to me. So perhaps I've been steered towards being skeptical from the beginning with my mom educating me, I know to question and examine and decide for myself, I think.
So I don't blame other people for having doubts, and I don't blame myself for wondering if my blog is the right place to put religion. Ideally, I'd love to include it in my blog because I always try to live by the idea that I want to be really hard to offend... I want to try and understand as best I can.... so I'd be thrilled if that same kind of courtesy was present in my blog audience, like the fact that I am a Daughter of God wouldn't make what I'm saying less relevant..
No comments:
Post a Comment