I watched these documentaries knowing this question was coming.
Patriot or Traitor.
This question is meant to be either or, and probably simple.
Gauge what you personally hold more important.
Freedom or Privacy.
The problem is it's not about me.
I operate in a unique mindset, where I have been raised to do what is best for the Army, who represents America. This scores me as unwavering supporter of my government. My example has always been my dad who I have never heard utter a single negative comment about his Commander in Chief (President). You could call that naive, but loyal sounds better to me. Yay for propaganda!
We're talking about a nation that does not give a shit about their privacy.
They dispel every gosh thing in their life on the internet.
Why do they care about privacy all a sudden?
On written record Edward Snowden is a liar.
On written record the Government is a liar.
Edward Snowden signed a non-disclosure agreement indicating he understood that he was agreeing that he would never reveal the content associated with the NSA.
If your signature doesn't mean anything why is this still a thing?
By that point alone, Edward Snowden belongs in prison.
In this aspect, I'm unsure why there is even debate, did his agreement say that he could whistle blow or did it say he could never reveal the content of the NSA? Because you cannot do both.
Read the privacy agreements, these companies under scrutiny probably told you in some undecipherable way that they were breaching your privacy, using and sending you information to a third party, the GOV... You probably said yes. Even if you didn't mean to.
The U.S. Government falls under the U.S. Constitution as well of the Bill of Rights indicating that the Government is limited. They lied, so I expect the people, if they care so badly, to overthrow the government.. Follow through. Send these men that violated the Bill of Rights to prison too. You'll quickly discover that will not happen, the people do not care enough.
The Government will argue that this was all done in an effort to protect the people of this nation.
Edward Snowden will say that this was all done in an effort to protect the rights of this nation.
Okay Edward, protect our rights while simultaneously releasing information that we were/are spying on the German chancellor? Hurt our relations with the Germans? Sure, why not it's not like we haven't had enough wars with them already. What's one more. Consequently, this has caused several other countries to really wonder, weakening our alliances. Would you still argue that this was done for the greater good? Where's the give and take? Take our freedom and privacy and put it to work and in action, exercise it, while giving the rest of the world dangerous information?
Germany already knew we were spying on them, why would you show evidence to confirm it?
The public already knew that the Government was watching them, everything they did, WHY provide evidence to confirm it?
In the back of my mind, because I'm not a politic crazed patriotic heartless drone, I recognize Edward Snowden as someone who spoke out against the majority. (This could be because I have been studying the Spiral of Silence Theory in Comm 1050) I want to believe that had I been in Nazi German in 1900's that I would have resisted the German Government and spoken out, and fought against them. I want to believe that if i had been on the same bus as Rosa Parks that I would have chosen the right, and opposed the adversary. I wouldn't argue that these instances relate precisely to the Edward Snowden uprising, to be honest I really kind of believe that he has an immature idealism. I will commend his bravery, America is a bitch to go against. Bullies suck, but life is life and really the Government is not trying to control you, they are trying to protect you, HOW is the blurry aspect. Edward's intent is genuine. And I'm inspired by his ability to explain and expound on this breach in an non-egotisical way, I really do believe he did it because he thought he was empowering his (at one point) fellow Americans. It's easy to ascertain that he is no longer considered an American citizen.
The only time I've ever really believed a politician ever is when President Bush was in office. {Professor Young I can just see you boiling} I've never seen a more vulnerable man in my life than he post 9/11. He was broken that his nation, his brothers had suffered. In fact, any time I hear his voice I feel the whole event all over. My tender heart swells when I hear his voice. He was broken that such a wrong had occurred. I genuinely believed him when he said that America would be okay. After, before, the politics... whatever. That's my one and only united believing connection to the Government. The rest, irrelevant. I just do what the President says and if every fiber of my being says a situation is wrong, and that there is no good resulting from it, that is when I will ruffle my feathers and make some noise. The government ignoring my privacy? Mmm, I'm good its all on my Facebook forever anyway. Have at it.
Both the U.S. NSA and Edward Snowden are relying on a what if argument.
Snowden arguing that it may not have significance to you immediately, but one day the Government may rain down on you for something, and they will be able to use every intel they have accumulated over the years against you. They have a case on you prepared and ready in the chance that the opportunity arises.
The U.S. NSA is banking on the what if of look at what we could potentially thwart with our research and intel, look what we can try to stop from happening. "We are ready we have it all.. " We have your back, we'll find the enemy. We are watching.
I hope Snowden likes Russia.
And I mean that, in a polite loving neighborly way.
Thanks for thinking of me Ed, unfortunately I think that I pick the NSA.
Pointing out the obvious, Snowden you will now go down in history for telling people what they already know.
Hey Ed now that you're in cohorts with every other nation but America, tell your pal Germany not to be pissed! (even though they are spying on us right back) You may have been trying to stand up for us USA folk, but you handed some mighty powerful folks the dagger to make a big mess.
Your post made me question what I wrote on my blog about Edward Snowden. You had very valid points and made me think about this man in a whole new perspective than I had previously. Your writing style is easy and fun to follow as well. Keep going girl!
ReplyDelete