First and foremost can I say that I am so glad that I had a childhood before technology took over. The value of rollerblading, front porches, waterfights, well it's not lost on me. I'm lucky and I know it. Second, was it difficult for anyone else to listen to Diane Rehm's voice? Sure it was nostalgic to hear such a aged voice and hear her echo the words of my grandparents, but it basically lulled me to sleep, in the best way. I had to listen to the talk show through twice, I was aching for the whole thing to be typed up into words so I could re-read and make sure I wasn't lost especially with the multiple guests and the occasional callers. Then those commercials, wow what a tune. This isn't sarcastic, I really did enjoy the show especially the context, the discussion was interesting. The topic generally was made up of information that I have heard before though, this time I wasn't halfheartedly listening. Did i just admit that I halfheartedly listen when my grandparents tell me I'm too consumed in my mobile device? Shoot. I usually listen good. Swear. I started dwelling on the talking points they covered quick, like "Hey Bette do you realize most of your relationships in your life are online centered, like ballpark 80%? Uh, thats over half." But why. You heard her say that folks out in Sardinia are living much longer lives, while you're generically liking one of your pals photos on instagram.
Okay Diane, I hear ya. Internet is like crack to me and I soak up data like crazy. Guilty. I'm a military kid though, I've moved on average of every two years of my life, or something like that I quit keeping track a really long time ago. One of the age old sayings associated with the military life is, "Goodbyes are never forever", social media has given that saying a giant supportive boost. I know inherently that I am going to see my military comrades again, I'm going to run into a teacher I had back in Alaska at an airport someday, I might see a church friend from Italy down at Lake Powell. I don't doubt the happenstance and chance that life gives, but facebook and texting and skype, it's all connected that further. It's upped the possibility. I can keep up with the comings and goings and triumps and disappointments of all of my peers that I don't live anywhere close to. My inner circle, it's small and why wouldn't it be I've shown up to towns not knowing a soul but my family. My outer circle has tripled doubled and just grown with each and every move. I feel lucky to have gotten to meet all these people, and I would feel stupid if I didn't do my best to maintain those relationships. So yes, I am going to spend alittle more time on the internet corresponding with my relationships that due to distance, I have to keep up on the world wide web. If I see my swim teammate from tenth grade is going to be in Vegas because I saw on his facebook, well I am going to make the effort to go see him. Skype and gmail allowed my dad to tell me he was proud of me from eight hundred billion miles away, should I have been hiking or volunteering somewhere instead? I have logged too many hours on a number of sites, but I can't regret that. A handwritten letter is also a means of communication but facebook is a tool at your fingertips that connects you to not just one household but hundreds of people. I'm not shelled up in my apartment neglecting potential relationships because I'm too busy caring about my online outside circle, but while I am out there building new relationships I am checking my cell phone occasionally. Could I be missing out, and wasting valuable time, sure. But I am also smiling cause someone who was significant to me just got an A on their first college paper at Brown University, that information could of waited. But why wait. If that information can travel faster than faster, lemme hear about it faster than fast. Or.. read it.
Do I know my neighbors? No. But how many times has that been true in my life? Tons of moving trucks are proof of that. Doesnt bother me now because I've never really known my neighbors. If the situation arises, I'll chat them up no problem but they dont necessarily come first before my existing friends just because my neighbors are around in the flesh. I would absolutely feel more singled out and flattered if one of my friends actually called me to tell me that they are engaged rather than seeing a photo of it on my feed, I would love to hear the excitment in their voice and the nervous laughs but I'll take a photo and a caption over nothing at all any day.
I can say that I agree with the show, get off your phones back away from the laptop but I'd be a hypocrite. The web is vital for me, dramatic I know, but it's vital because I value these blurbs I get from people from my past. I know I get a narrow scope of their life, I get what they put out there, which diminishes some of the realness but so what. I'm not opposed to spending less time on my phone, I can start to cut back slowly and see what occurs with that change. However, I'm still going to check my phone, alot.
No comments:
Post a Comment